Chan Lim: A New Light of Prosperity



My Love for the Arts
Before I give you a glimpse of the event let me first give you a background why I decided to sign up for this event. Since, I stand for my own principle as a blogger that I only attend events that interests me and events that would likely give me much joy. In simpler terms, I don't sign up for the loot bags or for the expensive gadgets because I write straight from the heart.
At a very young age I knew that I am more creative rather than analytical. I am enthused about everything that has something do with art. I can still remember how I once dreamed of being a fashion designer, a painter and a sculptor. 
Nevertheless,I can remember vividly the moment when I told my mother that I wanted to be a painter someday.She then responded that she happen to know a doctor who used to be a painter.She further added that being a painter is not a lucrative career.
At a very young age, I experienced an indirect discouragement from my mother. Thus, I took a bachelor's degree thinking that I would pursue law school. But then after graduation I realized that being a lawyer would not make me happy. 
Perhaps, the wishful thinking that I could be an artist someday is still lingering within me.  
At the age of 27, I finally decided to do what I really love. I decided to enroll in different art classes such as calligraphy,sketching,doodling and basic water coloring. Possibly, this is my own way of fulfilling my childhood dreams. 
Accordingly, I am more than ecstatic in attending this event.
SM Chinese New Year Celebration
SM City North EDSA kicked-off the Chinese New Year festivities with unveiling of its annual exhibit of oriental traditional art last January 24,2016.The exhibit of hand-painted lanterns especially made by students of Chan Lim Family of Artists and Students is part of their advocacy of promoting Chinese culture though the arts.
The light illuminating from the Chinese lanterns, on the one hand, is believed to bring prosperity and bright future.  

Chan Lim Family of Artists and Students
For more than four decades,Chan Lim Family of Artists and Students had been earnestly advocating for the promotion of oriental art through conducting various exhibits  and through sharing their skills and knowledge to everyone who has the heart of an artist. To date the Chan Lim Family of Artist and Students already showcased 14 exhibits.
Emerging in the exhibit were vibrant hues and gradient of flora and fauna theme.


A New Light of Prosperity: An Exhibit Launch of Over 100 Chinese Paintings on Lanterns
After a sumptuous lunch for all the guests, Mr. Alex Chan graced the members of the media for a short interview. One of the questions asked was if how long was he doing this kind of art. He then said that he started to paint when he was still 11 and he still loves doing it till this time. Another question asked was is there a certain theme for the exhibit. He then responded that each 35 artists is free to choose whatever they want to paint.
Shortly after the interview,  Mr. Alex Chan started to do his live painting demonstration.


One of the observations I had is the unique art paraphernalia he has. A set of Chinese brushes, a black ink and an ink stone.Mr. Alex Chan also mentioned that he is not sketching anything but is directly painting.
Workshop of Chinese Art 
After the live demonstration we were fortunate enough to have a one-on-one workshop with the students of Chan Lim. We were also given materials for the workshop 


We were first taught to paint a bamboo because it is the simplest thing to do. Yes, it looks so simple, but seriously it is too difficult for me to do. In my case, I realized that each brush stroke has a certain rhythm.
While struggling to achieve that perfect bamboo, Mr. Alex came and told me that I should not let the brush control me but I should be the one to control the brush.Indeed, this was really inspiring for a beginner like me.
Photo source from Ms. Alice Mate
My teacher for that day was a retiree,her name is Ms. Flor. I am grateful that she is patient enough to teach me.While we were doing the workshop,she mentioned that it took her overnight to master painting the bamboo. Likely, she said that her classmates belong to different age groups.
At the end of the day, I did not come up with the perfect gradient of a bamboo nevertheless I really had fun and planning to enroll for one of Chan Lim's classes. 
Congratulations to the organizers for this wonderful event,I salute Chan Lim for their advocacy for the arts.I wish you all the best.Thank you so much for making one of my childhood dreams come true for a day.
For more information about the Chan Lim Family of Artists and Friends visit their website at www.chanlim.com or follow them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ChanLimFamilyofArtists
Do you have any childhood dream that you wanted to fulfill?What have you done to achieve it? Share your stories at the comment sections below.




Comments